8.01.2011

Food to love : Egg in the hole.


So there may not be a lot in our fridge at the moment, but at least we have bread and eggs! This morning I was feeling creative and thought I would try out this spin on the classic toast and eggs. Delicious! Husband was very impressed too so I made sure not to tell him how easy it was :) Enjoy.

Egg in the hole
(recipe found in The Pioneer Woman Cookbook)

Sliced Bread (next time I want to try it with sourdough)
Butter
Large Eggs
Salt
Pepper

Using a juice glass cut a hole in the center of the bread. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, then place the bread into skillet and allow it to begin toasting (bring heat up to medium). After a couple of minutes crack a large egg into the hole, sprinkle with s+p and then cook for about 1 minute. Using a spatula flip the bread, the top should be nice and toasted and the egg white should have cooked through. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper then cook for about 1-2 minutes until egg white is firm and the yolk is just beginning to harden. Serve with fruit and coffee!

Yummm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make these for my kids all the time, but I have been calling them "pig in a pocket". Yum!

Lindsey Brown said...

I grew up with these tasty treats! We called them 'egg in the middle'! I still make them for Tony on weekends! Thanks for sharing! Hope all is well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails